Sunday, February 13, 2011

Snow, AGAIN!? Yes :)

I love it. There’s is nothing more I can really say about all the wonderful things that Snow does to enhance my life. Now, I’m not so stupid to believe that everybody has the same opinion as me about snow. This winter in Kentucky has seen unusual amounts of snow, and it seems like everybody is complaining. Here are some common emotions/ reactions that other people may have about snow... i think:
-Cold
-Dangerous
-Annoying
-Work (if you shovel snow for a living)
Speaking of shoveling snow, not too many of you may know that I’m a well experienced snow shoveler! Well, at least I was when I was in grade school.  I would jump to my feet every winter morning at 5 by the rumbling sound of the snow plow passing by our house (My youngly ability to wake up from my warm bed onto the ice-cold floor astounds me).  I would throw on my snow suit, and 3 minutes later I was outside with my snow shovel. Our neighboring grandpa’s and grandma’s would be out there before me, bent back and all, clearing a pathway for the school children to walk to school.  I joined them every morning.  I loved it.  It was one thing that I had full control over. Nobody in my family cared enough about how I did it.  It was one place where I was allowed full decision making responsibilities. For once, I was not the “baby” of the house. That narrow pathway that I carved out in the waist high snow in front of my house was a great source of pride.
Maybe you’re starting to see why I am so fond of snow. If you’ve not caught on yet, check this.
Let me list a few other reasons why I like it so much when the world turns white:
  1. Its dangerous to drive.  I have many found memories of how my father’s eyes would sparkle whenever he got to drive in snow.  I’ve inherited that same DNA, no doubt.
  2. Hot Chocolate tastes better than ever (If you need help understanding this concept, read THIS).
  3. Ski/Snowboarding, and Snow monsters.
  4. The beauty, and meaning of it all.
Lets start with Number 4.  Actually, let’s just ONLY talk about number 4.

You wake up in the morning. You realize that the light leaching through between the curtains is brighter than usual. You stare at your alarm clock until the time comes into focus because you are sure you are late to work. Actually, you woke up earlier than usual; weird... You pull back the curtains and look out the window in squinting amazement that the whole world has turned white. No longer do you see houses and cars. They’ve turned into bumps and mounds in the white-scape.
I can’t help but think of how it covers everything shamelessly, and relentlessly.  And for a moment (usually a very short moment, in Kentucky), everything is clean.  Covered in the one color that symbolically represents purity.  
There’s a lot that could be said about the whiteness of snow. I walked to church this morning in my white shoes I got recently. Snow doesn’t have chemical white coloring or anything to help it be so white and yet, my shoes looked yellow compared to the half inch of snow on the ground. Its so freakin’ clean, fragile, potent, Shameless in its radiance.

There are no spells you can cast to keep snow from falling on you. When it snows, it snows. When it decides to stick, it sticks. It falls like a blanket over hummers and tricycles, tree tops and black tops, over Mansions and Shacks. Have you ever ‘heard’ snow falling? I have no scientific documents for you, but in Yonezawa, Japan, where I’ve spent my childhood years I swear you can actually hear the snow falling on a dead silent night; Big, hefty, silver dollar sized snow flakes stacking on top of each-other. When you catch one of these mother-flakes in your hand, you can almost feel the weight of it before it melts into a puddle in your palm. This results in the most beautiful winter blanket, covering the whole world. White is all that there is. None of the actual earth can be seen through this blanket. It is relentless in its coverage.

Change the topic a little bit.  When you see a piece of art, or some crazy invention, you can start to see some of the characteristics of the person that created that thing.  For example, The Cheeze Shovel.  You’ve might have seen those before, but this little nifty thing was invented by a Norwegian. Let’s see what the cheese shovel tells us about Norwegians.  They must eat cheese.  They must like cheese to be thinly sliced. Maybe they like their cheese to be evenly spread on their bread... etc...  And all this is true... well, at this point I’ll claim my Norwegian heritage and tell you that those things are true!  I’m am a proud owner of a few cheese shovels myself.
If we look at the invention of snow, I believe we can see a glimpse of who the inventor of it is like. Kind of like how we can see who God is through Jesus. He comes to earth, naked and shameless. His potency rattles the hearts and minds of every one he comes in contact with. His relentlessness puts him on death-row. He overflows with passion and love as his fragile human life is tortured to a bloody pile, and left to die. He was vulnerable and risky;Unashamedly exposing all the emotions where it can so easily be trampled, muddied, and shoveled away, just like snow.
Truth be told, the magnificent view from your bedroom window does not last long. By the time you’re done with your breakfast coffee, plow trucks have re-exposed old mundane black strips of road so that we don’t need to miss a beat in our commute. Sidewalks are shoveled quickly to avoid legal trouble with a unsuspecting walker who might slip on a piece of ice. Before you know it its back to normal life, crowned with its own empty productiveness, marked with heavy sins and addictions.  We till the land unswervingly, and the snow doesn’t stand a chance.
The stale old piles of leftover snow is really nothing to look at.  But its a reminder that once, everything was blanketed, and nobody could do anything about it except cancel school.  So, next snow day, why not enjoy it to the fullest? Instead of complaining about its inconvenience, why not accept that His purifying work covered everything, and thank Him for the reminder? And when it comes time to shovel it away into dirty little piles, remember that our own work to clean everything up is futile. In fact, isn’t it part of what turned our savior into a ugly pile of blood?
...and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.  -Isaiah 64

2 comments:

  1. Paul, I loved your thoughts on snow. I remember how proud you were of plowing that narrow path in front of our house every morning...I love snow too. Check these pictures out... http://www.emailjokez.com/more/46234_Winter-in-Russia.htm
    Thank you Jesus for your relentless love, covering all our ugliness.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice! Encourage me :)