Sunday, December 26, 2010

Butter and Faith... And Christmas!

Merry Merry Christmas from Norway to all!


This year, I didn't get around to doing a Christmas letter, so my procrastination has taken me to just blog about my Christmas so far.

In Norway, Christmas has just started! You’ve heard of the 12 days of Christmas right? Well, the 12 days start on Christmas day here. So, I’m good as long as I get this blog down on the first half of Christmas!

To add to my excuse, let me tell you that apparently I come from a long line of procrastinators! My grandpa and grandma JUST put up their Christmas tree today (26th). This happens to be the very day they take all the Christmas trees down in Japan.

Today at breakfast, I was trying to decide what to put on my last little piece of bread when my grandpa asked me “but where is the butter on your bread?” I looked down and realized that yo could hardly see any butter on there. I clearly remember spreading it on thee, but it had melted when I threw some scrambled egg on it earlier. I answered my grandpa “It’s there, you just can’t see it.” He answers just as any butter lover like my grandpa should, by saying “If you cant see it, its not enough!!” I can never get enough of my grandpa’s sweetness of his voice, and cheerfulness of his spirit.

So the breakfast continues as I find some lovely brown cheese to put on my bread. Just before I savor its taste, grandpa adds to his last thought... “If you can’t see it, well, you must have faith in it.”

Unbelievable. I'm sure coffee has not made it to my grandpa’s vein yet, and his first thoughts in the morning are as profound as heaven itself. Its so true, AND so simple. It was so easy for me to believe that there was butter on my bread, and yet, I had to have faith in it. It isn’t blind faith, its experiential faith. I’ve experienced the smothering of the butter. I know its there. You just can’t see it.

As I devoured the last bite of that bread and cheese as I let this truth make its way into my hungry stomach. Faith can be so real and satisfying as a piece of bread. Our faith is supposed to be like that; lived out. It only took my grandpa’s presence at that table for God to let me know.

Actually, its pretty fun. You should try this faith thing some time. Its not all the wackyness that people think it is. The little bit of faith it takes to eat a piece of bread really counts.  Every step you can take in faith is a celebration to be had, because it marks a ever deepening level of relationship with Jesus.
You know, I wouldn’t mind living out a life of faith if this is how it feels.
Meanwhile, the bread tastes fuller, and the room brighter, and coffee stronger. I’m really liking this.

So, all that to say, I hope you are enjoying this late Christmas season!

Paul

(or.. in Norway, Pål Martin)

3 comments:

  1. I always knew you came from mighty roots! Blessings back to you and your grandpa as you have blessed me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha - Paul, this is truly a deep spiritual insight. However, I do have to admit that what struck me deeply was how much Norwegians like butter. I remember my Scandinavian grandparents always very particular that the butter went all the way to the edge of the bread. My mother still thinks butter is the most important condiment. And my father tells stories about his Norwegian ancestors that fought in the American Civil War, and told that they didn't care if they had coffee, or beans or any other rations, as long as they had butter. What's up with Norwegians and their butter???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you Paul! Tell Grandpa and Grandma I miss them very much. Tell us more about what you're experiencing.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice! Encourage me :)